Friday 1 June 2012

New Waves.. letlive. - 'Muther'



My friend recommended a band called Letlive. to me today, describing them as 'Bring Me the Horizon, but more American and weird in places'. Not entirely correct in my opinion, but they certainly an interesting band!

Whilst looking them up on Spotify, I came across this song and it really stood out to me, originally due to the nice female guest vocal, the owner of which, upon further investigation, is not a professional singer at all, but a friend of a member of the band. It really is stunning for the short time that it lasts. This aside, the band's vocalist, Jason Aalon Butler, is a talented singer, showing us impressive range between his powerful rough and clean vocals, which occasionally reminded me of a pre-Skrillex Sonny Moore, as well as Glassjaw's Daryl Palumbo.

'Muther' is delightfully heavy and passionate, a song about infidelity, though the highlight for me must be the last third of the song which turns all jazz piano over a soaring refrain of 'Don't you cry mama, we'll, we'll be OK'.

In Letlive.'s other songs, such as 'Renegade '86', the punk elements shine through; nice heavy post-hardcore, which at times reminds me of A Day To Remember.

Anyway, check out the video above, wait it out til the end for the tempo change and the band will appear in a whole more interesting light!

Their album, 'Fake History' is available now.
http://www.epitaphstore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment