Saturday 16 June 2012

Rapid Review.. Maroon 5 feat Wiz Khalifa - 'Payphone'


I was originally going to make this a 'New Waves' feature but, seeing that even though it was only officially  released this week, it has already been played everywhere like an incredibly loose prostitute, I thought I'd slam this in the 'Rapid Reviews' section instead.

You can most likely tell, due to the tone of my writing, that there's something that I've been burning to tell you.

I don't like 'Payphone'. 

In fact, I decided to make this post just to tell you exactly how much I dislike it.

At least with Maroon 5's previous single, the incredulously over-hyped 'Moves Like Jagger', made up for its lack of substance with an undeniably catchy chorus that you could boogey away to to your heart's content when drunk (I know from much experience :D), but alas, with 'Payphone' there is none of this.

                                

Perhaps what's most disappointing about this song is that, despite Adam Levine's signiature vocal, Maroon 5 just sound incredibly generic and borderline modern R'n'B. The chorus is substandard, and the song is just not exciting!

To detriment this song even more, rapper Wiz Khalifa makes a pointless contribution during the bridge, making a previously unremarkable song just bad in my opinion.

It's almost as if Maroon 5 are getting worse with increased age and commerciality. Their 2002 debut album, Song's About Jane, will forever be the pinnacle of their career it seems; there was not a single bad track on that album, and one cannot help but wonder what sort of music Maroon 5 would have made had they continued in their original pop rock with funk undertones.

'Payphone' is out 17th June. Maroon 5's 4th album Overexposed is released on 26th June 2012.



No comments:

Post a Comment