Friday 19 July 2013

Flashback Friday.. The Horrors - 'Who Can Say'


The eternal question folks: what have I been listening to this week?

Or should I say month, with that summer holiday/laptop malfunction/ridiculous shifts/no sleep debacle. I can sure get away with a lot atm, hehe.

This past week, I've been getting into some of The Horrors, a band that - I admit - I had readily dismissed as all style and no substance a good few years back. They looked far too art-school and/or pompous for me to take them seriously, after all, who really needs a mushroom hair cut with a fringe down to their nose (ever practical, me!), however falling in love with 'Still Life' a year or so ago and taking my fine time to get my grubby mitts on their albums, I can declare myself more than pleasantly surprised!

'Who Can Say' is probably one of their best known songs. Taken from their second album, Primary Colours, it is what can only be described as a tuneful cacophony of noise, laced with slightly eerie synths, and with singer, Faris Badwan's sombre recounts of 'And when I told her I didn't love her anymore, she cried' (actually a lyrical lift from Jay And The Americans' 'She Cried'), this is almost an experimental, indie interpretation of a modern day sonnet.

Higher, the deluxe edition of The Horror's third album Skying, featuring reworkings and rarities is out now.

http://thehorrors.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/horrorsofficial
https://twitter.com/horrorsofficial



No comments:

Post a Comment