Friday 27 July 2012

Flashback Friday's.. The Maccabees - 'Can You Give It'



Not quite sure what made me choose this song as this week's Friday Flashback (apologies for the lack of features these past few weeks!), especially as I haven't been listening to The Maccabees much recently at all.

'Can You Give It' is the song the first alerted me to The Maccabees, albeit, unintentionally. I recall, circa 2009, this song being plastered over many an advert, as it is an undeniably uplifting song, as seen when played to a live crowd, as seen below at their performance of Glastonbury 2009.

I didn't realise that this was, in fact, The Maccabees, until I Youtube'd them following their release of Give It To the Wild in 2012, having been enraptured by a session performance of 'Child' on late night Channel 4. I must say, there's nothing as exciting as rediscovering a song that you'd deemed lost!

If you've never listened to The Maccabees, I can't reccommend them highly enough! Although I do suggest that you consider Give It To the Wild and their previous albums separately, as even though Give It To the Wild seems an almost natural and inevitable progression for the band, the sounds are markedly different.

Give It To the Wild is out now.


'Can You Give It' live at Glastonbury 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment