Saturday 3 August 2013

New Waves.. Lorde - 'Royals'


I featured 'Tennis Court' by Lorde on the July BUZZ a few days ago. I can't recall how I stumbled across her now, but the first song I heard was this song, 'Royals'. 

Surprisingly, yet also unsurprisingly, 'Royals' stormed to the top of the charts in her New Zealand homeland; pretty impressive for a 16 year old, eh? The singer-songwriter - real name Ella Yelich-O'Connor - is fiercely protective of what her label release to the world; as of yet, there are two music videos, one  for 'Royals' and one for 'Tennis Court', and a handful of photos from a single promo shoot, live shots compile the rest. It is refreshing to see such self-guard from a teen in a world over-saturated in the over-sharing of her contemporaries and fans alike. 

'Royals' itself is very subtle, comprised of clicks, beats and vocal layering to create heavenly harmonies, however, it's all about the lyrics. All of Lorde's songs carry a story, as do the accompanying visuals, and it's really this sort of artist that I get excited about.

Her EP, The Love Club is available from iTunes and is on Spotify. For some reason, 'Royals' doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet, and I'm not sure why, although the version of the EP that I bought from UK iTunes has a different tracklisting to the US one. Which is a lil disappointing, as I'm now waiting for 'Royals' to have a presumably massive release over here. Good things come to those who wait...

What do you think of Lorde? Do you like 'Royals'?



No comments:

Post a Comment