Monday 18 March 2013

New Music.. Paramore - 'Still Into You'


I'm not much of a music snob, and there's still a part of my heart that harkens lovingly back to the t(w)een years of my adolescent youth that now increasingly feels like a hastily fading dream (apologies, real adults)! Though I have to say that occasionally I have to humour myself in the nostalgia of music that symbolises so many good times that I had in my high school/college years, memories with friends, and my general trying to grow up. Paramore were one of those bands. Along with My Chemical Romance, Lostprophets, Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco, Paramore indulged the emo-pop-rock tween in my soul that thought she was 'alternative' when really she was as non-conforming as half of the 12-16 age bracket in the world, circa '04-'07. I could quote 'The Emo Song' by Adam and Andrew, but I'll leave that up to you ;)

Pushing the cringey embarrassments of youth aside however, we turn away from 'Misery Business' era Paramore all the way to 2013 where, two members down though still flame haired, Hayley Williams and Co are still throwing their pop-punk anthems to thirsty and  impressionable lego-haired teens aching for an idol band to give their lives direction. Are Paramore still up to the cause? Well, with the latest song to be revealed from their forthcoming fourth album (imaginitively entitled Paramore), 'Still Into You' is... somewhat lacklustre, in regards to what Paramore can offer when they're at their best. In fact, it feels like a cheap Fall Out Boy song, especially in the melody. Even Williams' usual powerhouse vocal feels pretty tame. It's not a memorable song, in fact, it's borderline sickly and in writing this, listening to the song for the first time, I genuinely have no inclination to listen to the song again. For of what bite Paramore can muster when, like Fall Out Boy, they create genuinely good pop songs, 'Still Into You' falls far below the mark.

Paramore is released 8th April.

http://www.paramore.net/
https://twitter.com/paramore
http://www.facebook.com/paramore

No comments:

Post a Comment