Monday 20 August 2012

New Waves.. Muse - 'Madness'


This is the third track debuted from Muse's,sixth album, The 2nd Law, following the official soundtrack to the London 2012 Olympic Games, 'Survival', and the dubstep influenced track, 'Unsustainable'.

The track above, 'Madness', is to be released as the first single from the album, and is of similar nature to 'Unsustainable' although, as a track it seems more promising; as odd as this may sound; to me at least, it feels like Muse, whereas the tracks that preceded it didn't. 'Unsustainable' was too 'dubstep' and 'Survival' was too 'Queen'. This somehow still manages to merge both, with Muse's recent penchant for taking Queen influence too literally as of late for my tastes, still being apparent here in the echoing of Matt Bellamy's backing vocal and a Brain May-esque guitar solo. The dubstep is far more subtle than the brashness of 'Unsustainable', and this works in the track's favour. The latter half of the track, following the solo reminds me of their Absolution track, 'Stockholm Syndrome', in the manner the lyrics are sung and the tempo changes of music.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will buy The 2nd Law when it is released. Muse are one of my favourite bands, and although I feel that their 'golden era' - for lack of a better term - may have passed (to me, Muse personified themselves most completely in their second and third albums, Origin of Species and Absolution - which is my favourite), I appreciate their openness to the influence of different musical genres and genuinely look forward to whatever they put out there! I have a feeling that I'll like this album more than I did The Resistance, as I am a big fan of dark electronic music, and the latter was more orchestral I feel.


'Madness' is out now via iTunes and the Muse webstore.
The 2nd Law is to be released in various mediums (and worldwide?) on 1st October!


http://muse.mu/
https://twitter.com/muse
http://www.facebook.com/muse



No comments:

Post a Comment