Saturday 26 May 2012

Zwei.

Hello again!


Here's a picture that I drew of Alec Turner!

Looking back at my last post (almost a year and a half ago!) it's pretty clear to say that I've got lost along the way in regards to this blog. An update is in order! So after some minor layout changes, I've decided to re-motivate myself into doing something productive on here. In the past year, I'm glad to report that I have successfully passed my A-Levels (in English Language, Media, History, and an AS in Art)and got accepted into university. After some deliberation and soul searching, I decided to not to move away to Nottingham to study English and Media. It was an ambition of mine to move away and make steps towards becoming more independent, a large part of which was to do with trying to build my confidence as well as - let's admit it! - wanting to participate in the 'stereotypical uni experience'! Putting it bluntly, I chickened out, switched my firm choice to English and Creative Writing at Birmingham City University and continued living at home for my first year of study which, due to the common first year undertaken by all students in the English department before we separate onto our different routeways for years 2 and 3, was somewhat underwhelming and non-motivating due to my not really studying what I had signed up to study. Thankfully, in the second year I get to choose my own modules and am looking forward to studying Creative Writing and Life Writing (what I actually signed up for!) as well as Children's Fiction and Contemporary Theatre!

My personal life has also undergone some changes in some regards. I'm trying to build my confidence as mentioned previously, and in the past year I made a promise to myself to say 'yes' to challenging situations instead of avoiding them as my natural instinct would tell me to. OK, so I was inspired by 'Yes Man', but it really is surprising how much more interesting and enjoyable life gets if you just say 'yes'! Going to university by myself (the majority of my friends stayed at the local uni or moved further afield) meant that I was responsible for making my own friends instead of inheriting them through others. This may sounds trivial to the majority of you, but as a pretty shy person, this was a big deal for me, and I admit, I was petrified! Similarly, I was invited to play bass in my friend's band around Christmas time! As I had only sporadically played an acoustic and bass guitar around the age of 10 or 11, this was quite a challenge to accept and I did so readily, as I felt that I was lacking some purpose since starting uni, perhaps because it wasn't what I expected it to be, or because I had been so comfortable in my personal situation for so long (steady friends and routines through high school and college) that all of this change unsettled me mentally for a while. Anyways! I practiced and tried my hardest, finding motivation through needing to be at an adequate level or so for my bandmates, and recently we played our first gig at the Wolverhampton Varsity for a charity night, raising money and awareness for SENSE, a deaf-blind charity! We are officially the last band to ever play the venue, as Wolverhampton University is sadly buying the building to turn it into offices. I won't lie however, I am far more excited to be standing on the same stage where Muse - yes, that Muse! - once performed on! It is very likely that I was standing on the same spot where Matt Bellamy once stood, allow me my fan-girling please!

Other than that, I have (so far) passed all of my modules at uni without having to resit, become even tighter with my group of friends, and now that I am free for the summer, intend to job-hunt and paint and draw the summer away, hopefully aiming to sell some of my paintings or get commissions if I get good enough. I also really want to take this blog more seriously, so this time I mean it when I say 'expect to see reviews'! Music! Film! Books? Plus whatever else is on my mind! Perhaps some creative writing! I definitely need to organise myself better!

Until next time (in the NEAR future):)

Kayleigh

PS: Follow me on Twitter and Instagram, both of my usernames are @ooKayyy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment